Answered By: Business Information Services Last Updated: Jun 29, 2020 Views: 3863
Industry reports, profiles, and overviews are available through a number of BIS's resources. Some of these databases are reserved for University of Illinois faculty and student use for academic purposes only. In most cases, you can search for an industry by name, NAICS code, or SIC code. Try looking in the following:
- First Research: Simply search for an industry by name, NAICS, or SIC.
- IBISWorld: The simplest way to use IBISWorld is to enter an industry name or NAICS code in the search box and click the magnifying glass just to the right of it.
- Business Source Ultimate: Type the name of an industry in one of the search boxes and check the box next to "industry overview" under the "document type" heading.
- ABI/Inform Complete: Search for an industry name as a subject or enter/look up NAICS code. Choose "statistics/data report" as "document type", then click search.
- Passport: Go to 'Search Statistics' section. Select 'industries' and choose a industry you are interested in.
- The Encyclopedia of American Industries: a searchable ebook. Click on "Full Text- Gale Virtual Reference Library" to access
Any of the above resources are likely to contain some statistics, but for more you may wish to consult the following:
- ProQuest Statistical Datasets: Click on Index Terms under the search bar. Select "industry and commerce". Click on Paste to search and then search.
- The U.S. Economic Census: Issued every five years, the Economic Census provides data from the national level down to individual ZIP codes.
- RMA Annual Statement Studies: This printed resource provides composite ratios and balance sheet data for companies in various industries, disaggregated by company assets and sales. It is often used to get a general idea of the financial condition of companies in a given industry. Located in the Reference Collection in the Main Stacks and Main Stacks. The call number is 332 R54s1.
- Use Bloomberg, available at the Margolis Market Information Lab (MIL) at the Business Instructional Facility (BIF). Bloomberg Industry Analysis can be accessed from a Bloomberg terminal by typing "IBQ" and hitting the "GO" key.
- eMarketer: While on the homepage, click on 'Industry' and then click on the industry of interest. Or search for the industry in the search bar.
- Stathttp://www.library.illinois.edu/proxy/go.php?url=http://www.statista.com/ista: At the top left hand corner, click on 'Statistics' and then click on the industry of interest. Or search for the industry in the search bar.
- Emerging Markets Information Service: At the top bar, click on 'Industry'. Also, you can limit the search by selecting the country