Answered By: Business Information Services Last Updated: Jun 29, 2020 Views: 61
Foreign direct investment data can be found in several BIS databases; including:
- OECD iLibrary: Enter 'international direct investment' into the search box if you are looking for direct investment to and from individual countries.
- EIU Country Intelligence:
Choose "all countries" or a continent from the menu on the left. Next choose a country; and then the HTML version of the "country forecast" for that country.
Within the forecast choose "data summary;" then "foreign direct investment."
- Hover over "Economies" on the black navigation bar; click 'Economy; Finance; & Trade.'
- Under 'Search Tree' on the left side; expand the drop-down and select 'Foreign direct investment (FDI).' Then click 'Go.'
- This will take you to an expandable menu where you can check boxes for a number of FDI-related data points. Choose those that interest you and click the 'Next' button.
- On the next page; choose the continents or countries that interest you; then hit the 'Run Search' button.
- World Development Indicators (World Bank WDI Online): Click the "all indicators" button; then scroll down to the Economy and Growth section and the External Debt section; where you will find measures of foreign direct investment. Choose one; on the next page; you will see data for that statistic covering the last several years. You may change the range of years displayed; project the data onto a graph or map; and download the data to an Excel spreadsheet.
These Web-based resources helpful:
- UNCTAD 's World Investment Report
- World Resources Institute
- The U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis' International Economic Accounts Page
- World Investment and Political Risk from the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA) by the World Bank Group
- fDi Intelligence: fDi Magazine's online portal
You might also like to look at these print resources for historical data (available in the Library Catalog):