Answered By: University of Illinois Library
Last Updated: Jun 14, 2018     Views: 501

Off-campus access to subscription-based resources is restricted to current faculty, staff, and students at University of Illinois. This includes OLLI (Osher Lifelong Learning Institute) members and distance students affiliated with U of I. There are no fee-for-access options for persons not affiliated with the University. However, anyone can use the public computers located in most University Library locations to access most of these resources.


No Access:

  • Donors
  • Alumni
  • Board of Trustees
  • Visitors
  • Courtesy Card holders
  • Retired Staff, AP's, and Faculty (unless they have emeritus status or a continued appointment with a department)
  • Students who are not currently enrolled
  • University Administration
    • Despite physical location, the U of I’s University Administration (UA) is not technically part of campus. UA employees who do not carry faculty or staff appointments on any of the University of Illinois’ campuses cannot access resources licensed on behalf of their registered faculty, staff, and credit-earning students.

Special Cases:

  • Some UIC faculty members carry formal appointments in colleges or departments on the U of I campus. They are considered “dual appointment staff” who have both U of I and UIC Library access privileges. Any faculty member with multiple appointments across campuses should obtain library privileges for each campus (e.g. UI-Springfield faculty members who also have appointments on the UI-Urbana campus gets both UIS and U of I access privileges).
  • Visiting staff must have an official University appointment (retirees may also continue to hold an appointment with their former department). This includes appointments “without salary, with appointment” status. It is incumbent upon the HR office serving the department or college in question to ensure that their employees are properly entered into the system. For individuals affiliated through a University program, the relevant unit or academic department must make this determination of affiliation. Designations of affiliation can then be recorded in the HR office serving their department or college.

Contact Us

If the Ask a Librarian chat service is offline, visit the Ask a Librarian help page to find alternative contact methods.

Related Topics