Answered By: Business Information Services Last Updated: Nov 01, 2016 Views: 322
Industry reports; profiles; and overviews are available through a number of BIS's resources. Some of these databases are reserved for University of Illinois faculty and student use for academic purposes only. In most cases; you can search for an industry by name; NAICS code; or SIC code. Try looking in the following:
- First Research: Simply search for an industry by name; NAICS; or SIC.
- IBISWorld: The simplest way to use IBISWorld is to enter an industry name or NAICS code in the search box and click the magnifying glass just to the right of it.
- OneSource: Use the search box under "industries" to look for industry information.
- Business Source Complete: Type the name of an industry in one of the search boxes and check the box next to "industry overview" under the "document type" heading.
- ABI/Inform Complete: Search for an industry name as a subject or enter/look up NAICS code; choose "statistics/data report" as "document type"; click search.
- Passport: Go to 'Search Statistics' section; select 'industries'; choose a industry you are interested in; click go .
- The Encyclopedia of American Industries: a searchable ebook. Click on "Full Text- Gale Virtual Reference Library" to access
Any of the above resources are likely to contain some statistics; but for more you may wish to consult the following:
- Proquest Statistical Datasets: Click on Index Terms under the search bar; select "industry and commerce"; click on Paste to search and then search.
- Statista: Click on the 'Industry" tab at the top of the page; select the industry that you are interested in; then you can see recent statistics, market studies & reports, related market forecasts, and infographics about this industry .
- The U.S. Economic Census: Issued every five years; the Economic Census provides data from the national level down to individual ZIP codes.
- RMA Annual Statement Studies: This printed resource provides composite ratios and balance sheet data for companies in various industries; disaggregated by company assets and sales. It is often used to get a general idea of the financial condition of companies in a given industry. Located in the Reference Collection in the Main Stacks and Main Stacks. The call number is 332 R54s1.
- Use Bloomberg; available at the Margolis Market Information Lab (MIL) at the Business Instructional Facility (BIF). Bloomberg Industry Analysis can be accessed from a Bloomberg terminal by typing "IBQ" and hitting the "GO" key.