Answered By: Business Information Services Last Updated: Dec 07, 2016 Views: 23
Foreign direct investment data can be found in several BIS databases; including:
- OECD iLibrary: Enter 'international direct investment' into the search box if you are looking for direct investment to and from individual countries.
- EIU Country Intelligence:
Choose "all countries" or a continent from the menu on the left. Next choose a country; and then the HTML version of the "country forecast" for that country.
Within the forecast choose "data summary;" then "foreign direct investment."
- Hover over "Economies" on the black navigation bar; click 'Economy; Finance; & Trade.'
- Under 'Search Tree' on the left side; expand the drop-down and select 'Foreign direct investment (FDI).' Then click 'Go.'
- This will take you to an expandable menu where you can check boxes for a number of FDI-related data points. Choose those that interest you and click the 'Next' button.
- On the next page; choose the continents or countries that interest you; then hit the 'Run Search' button.
- World Development Indicators (World Bank WDI Online): Click the "all indicators" button; then scroll down to the Economy and Growth section and the External Debt section; where you will find measures of foreign direct investment. Choose one; on the next page; you will see data for that statistic covering the last several years. You may change the range of years displayed; project the data onto a graph or map; and download the data to an Excel spreadsheet.
These Web-based resources helpful:
- UNCTAD 's World Investment Report.
- World Resources Institute.
- The U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis' International Economic Accounts Page.
- World Investment and Political Risk from the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA) by the World Bank Group.
- fDi Intelligence: fDi Magazine's online portal.
You might also like to look at these print resources for historical data:
- Government Finance Statistics Yearbook (336 In82g) in Main Stacks Reference
- Direction of Trade Statistics Yearbook (382 In875da1a) In Main Stacks
Some of these databases are reserved for University of Illinois faculty and student use for academic purposes only. To inquire further; please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org